Entry 4: Reflection
This semester was filled with so much understanding about how to effectively facilitate the learning process of second language learning. Prior to taking this course and the acquisition course, I thought that EC-6 teachers had a very minimal part in the English learning process for the students in the classroom. This belief came from my past experiences with ELLs and seeing that they always got pulled out of the general education classroom. However, the foundation of supporting our English language learners is to truly know who they are and where they come from. The text states the importance of teachers knowing their ELLs ethnicity and country of origin so they can effectively incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and primary language support that can accelerate their language acquisition (Wright, 2015, p. 13).
This course has impacted my professional practice by helping me understand the logistics, laws, accommodations, backgrounds, statistics and processes that vary among ELLs in our public schools. This course has helped me to become more empathetic and understanding of the unique experiences that each student has and will have when being assigned to my class in the future. In the district that I am currently placed in for student teaching 2, they are going to make it a requirement that all teachers in the district next year have their ELL certification in addition to the two certifications they already have. I am very thrilled with the requirement because I believe all teachers in Texas should have their ELL certification and should be well equipped with the knowledge and resources to provide the best learning opportunity for our English language learners. This course has impacted my professional practice by showing me the impact I can have when I learn more about how to support more of my students.
I believe that this course should put less emphasis on interviewing teachers of ELLs and past ELLs but more interactions with the students that are currently in the process of learning English now. I would have loved to interview or discuss with the students we are learning about more than the ones that teach them or the ones that overcame the journey of learning English. Other than that, I truly enjoyed diving into the book for this class because it covered so much ground on educating and facilitating the learning process of English language learners.
This course has impacted my teaching philosophy by reminding me that all students are teachable but it is our job as educators to modify instruction for their individual benefit. If we continue to learn how to support our students, we can only be in a better position to support their language acquisition. My teaching philosophy has always been to meet students where they are and guide them to growing and becoming successful. However, due to this course I am able to use techniques and research to guide my process of supporting my English language learners in the future.
Wright, Wayne (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caston, Second Edition.
Hi Asmara,
ReplyDeleteI had such a similar experience in this class. There was so much that I did not know happened in a classroom on a daily basis. I thought that classroom teachers just taught content and then the pull-out teachers taught the language. I think that making it a law that all teachers need to have the certification is needed, especially in Texas where the population is so diverse. There is so much that goes on with English language learners that I had no clue happened and there are so many ways to teach them English that I was unaware of. This class has eliminated misconceptions that I had, and now I feel as though I am more prepared than I was before to go teach our kids.
You're going to be wonderful as an educator, best of luck to you and happy graduation!