Entry 1: Course Introduction

Hello, my name is Asmara Mengisteab and welcome to the first entry of my blog. I am currently a senior at the University of Houston studying education and business administration. Once I graduate this December, I will be a certified EC-6 teacher with hopes of becoming an impactful educator that changes lives for the better. I hope that this course can better prepare me for providing a support for my future ELL students.



Down below is a link to my first Vblog- enjoy!!
https://youtu.be/YbPC_rNnOa4



Comments

  1. Hi Asmara, it was so nice to see your video and to learn about the experiences you've been through. I feel as though I could relate to you on so many levels. Even though our parents came to America from different countries, we still grew up in a very similar household. I also picked up Arabic as my parents would speak around my siblings and I. Not only that, but it is so true when you said the real challenge was when people from our own specific country would come to America and we had to try our hardest to have conversation with them. I know when my grandmother would come visit, she literally only knew Arabic, and so we had to know how to say basic things in order to talk to her. Anyways, it was great to meet you. I look forward to seeing your future vblogs. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kirstie,

      Thank you so much for sharing your story! It is always so interesting to me when I hear from other students or people that were raised by foreign parents, no matter what country they're from, have similar stories. Arabic is one language I've always said I wanted to learn because it is spoken in many countries and I think it's one of the most beautiful languages. Actually a lot of the Tigrinya language (my language), is made up of Arabic words due to the proximity to the Middle East. I completely understand what you mean about being around family members that expect you to know the language that isn't necessarily what you use in your everyday life. I'm glad to have heard from someone that relates to my story. Good luck this semester!

      Delete

Post a Comment